Music During Session?

A forum for DCC RPG judges. This forum covers adventure design, monsters, judges' advice, campaign building, and all other such things.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Music During Session?

Never! Silence is golden.
33%
Only on rare occasions for dramatic effect.
17%
I play music depending on what is happening (combat, inn, etc).
17%
I play ambient music in the background appropriate to the setting.
17%
I jam out the whole time to whatever is on the playlist.
17%

Total votes: 6

Blutimate
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Music During Session?

Post by Blutimate »

Hey all,

Many years ago in college, I attempted and failed to play some music on CD while my group gamed. The music just interfered with the game.

So, I wanted to know, have you guys tried this? How did it go? Did you play it at certain times, kept it on for background music, or just kept it quiet?

Part of me wants to try this again with DCC, utilizing classical music, 3 Inches of Blood during combat (Destroy the Orcs), or maybe just some Star Wars tunes.

David Rose
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: Music During Session?

Post by Gameogre »

I wish I could play it the entire time but my players are WAY too easily distracted for that to work or maybe just maybe it's that modern civilization has me under it's thumb and I'm just too sissified to enforce my raging heavy metal beating down on all so loud while we play that it makes the dice dance need.

Either way. No music gets played 99% of the time.

This needs some thinking about.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'm not a big fan of it.

I think what happens in general is a GM chooses music they think fits the moment or adventure. It's music they know well, and they can tune it out, as needed. Meanwhile, I'm struggling to hear what people are saying, because I don't know it as well (or at all) so I can't just ignore it as easily. I have also played a very few sessions where a GM just wanted his music playing while we played.

Also also, I have synesthesia, so I *really* can't ignore it as easily as most folks. My synesthesia comes into play with music AND with words, all words (spoken, read, thought). So if I'm listening to a GM, checking something on my character sheet AND there's music playing, I've got a LOT to sort through...

But aesthecially, even just playing the Star Wars theme at the top of a Star Wars game doesn't do much for me. I know the music; you can just reference it and that's good enough. :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Fenris Ulfhamr
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: -

Post by Fenris Ulfhamr »

I dig instrumental theme-appropriate stuff during my games (Midnight Syndicate, Nox Arcana, Danzig's Black Aria, or Peter Gundry). I'll play battle music during fights if I can cue it up seamlessly (Amon Amarth, Slechtvalk, and now I'll be saving Three Inches of Blood for a big orc encounter, mwahaha... :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:)

Getting the Final Fantasy victory fanfare cued for just after a battle is pretty funny once or twice. too

Black Kylessa (c) LV 2 Wizard (orphan)
Str7/8 (-1) Agi17(+2) Sta9(0) Per6(-1) Int15(+1) Luc15(+1) AC13 (padded armor, fumble d8) HP7 Sling+2 (1d4-1) or dagger+/-1 (1d4-1) Spd30 Init+2 R+3 F0 W0 Ragdoll (Mara), Pony, 48cp 602gp Common, Chaos, Halfling, Dwarven
Animal Summoning 64 Wealful/Woeful magic (erupts from the earth),Charm Person 83 Blue Star (black beam), Runic Alphabet, Mortal 43 no change, Spider Climb 53 no change (six extra eyes),Magic Missle 94 Fine Control (meteors),Chill Touch 50 no change (skeletal hands)

Return to “Judges' Forum”