Zocchi Dice - Seek out our own or for sale here?

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Zocchi Dice - Seek out our own or for sale here?

Post by bholmes4 »

Just curious what the plan is for the Zocchi dice used in the games?

Will we be able to buy them from Goodman Games (perhaps in a package with the books)? If I can buy them here eventually I will just wait, otherwise I may as well buy them now so I can start toying with them.
Last edited by bholmes4 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Zocchi Dice - Seek out or own or for sale here?

Post by goodmangames »

Little known fact: Goodman Games has sold Zocchi dice on our web site for like 4 years, maybe longer than that. I love the things and have been including them in DCC modules since, I dunno, maybe around the mid-30's or so. The 3E DCC modules included them for things like wandering monster tables, here and there...nothing absolutely required to the adventure but I have always enjoyed having the opportunity to roll a d5 or d7. You can still buy them here:

http://www.goodman-games.com/store-dice.html

I don't have many left -- I've sold them on my site only as a novelty. Basically, I got to score a lot of dice at wholesale prices this way, then sold what I didn't need to make up for it. :)

You can of course also buy them from the manufacturers, who now sell them under the Gamestation.net site (as well as a lot of other dice on the same site):

http://www.gamestation.net/

As for DCC RPG, my plan is to make dice available through Goodman Games, associated with the DCC RPG. Maybe a custom-packed set or something along those lines. Not sure yet but let's just say I'm talking to the right guys to do it. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by bholmes4 »

Cool and thanks for the link. I will likely wait to see what you offer in a package deal. As an aside, Zocchi die are not easy to find in Canada (actually I haven't found any) and most American sites charge excessive amounts in shipping.

I assume the d30 die is not used? Don't know why but I really wanted to use that one. Actually the 14, 16, 24 and 30 seem like they would be fun to use. For some reason the 3, 5, and 7 aren't all that appealling but I still want them if DCC uses them.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

D30 is indeed used in DCC RPG, but that one is not a Zocchi exclusive -- you can buy it from other sites. I think it's one of the more widely publicized "non-standard" dice. Some other game systems actually use it.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

$20 for 6 dice is pretty steep. (and that 7 sider is fugly - i don't even see how that one works)

I don't understand the need for a different shape for each die type either. Why don't they just use a cube for the d3 and number 1-3 twice? They could do the same with a d10 for the d5 and a d14 for the d7. Personally I just plan on using a d4 for the d3, a d6 for the d5, and a d8 for the d7- just reroll if you roll too high. The only dice that look really necessary (and only for the convenience) would be the d14, d16, and d30.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

Aahh... here's a cube die numbered 1-3 twice-

http://www.gamestation.net/s.nl/it.A/id.3414/.f

and apparently Koplow makes a cheaper d5, d16, d24, and d30.

If you want to make a cheap set to go with this game, you might want to talk to them.
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

mshensley wrote:$20 for 6 dice is pretty steep.
I agree.
mshensley wrote:(and that 7 sider is fugly - i don't even see how that one works)
I agree.
mshensley wrote:I don't understand the need for a different shape for each die type either.
Now I understand that one: Those sold geometric shapes are fun. The more of them there are, the more fun it is. :mrgreen:
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
bholmes4
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Re: Zocchi Dice - Seek out our own or for sale here?

Post by bholmes4 »

Agreed that some of these (the lower ones) are unnecessary but I will likely try them anyway. Wish they could improve the d7 more than anything.

I thought about finding dice that had the numbers doubled up (ie. 1-3 printed twice on a d6) but realized the advantage to the oddly shaped dice is the ease of visual recognition. If I need to roll 1-3 but have to scan around to find my "special d6" then it's not really faster than rolling 1d4 and re-rolling a 4. On the otherhand I could pick out that bead-shaped d3 quickly amongst my other dice and start rolling right away. I suppose you could just use different coloured dice for the doubled-up dice to help recognize them, hmm.
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

I received my weird Zocchi dice at the weekend and the funky d7 is great :D
Sean Wills
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

bholmes4 wrote:I suppose you could just use different coloured dice for the doubled-up dice to help recognize them, hmm.
Just get all your weird numbered dice in a color that you don't have, like hot pink, and they'll be easy to find when you need them.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

geordie racer wrote:I received my weird Zocchi dice at the weekend and the funky d7 is great :D
How do you read it? I can't tell from the pictures I've seen.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

mshensley wrote:
bholmes4 wrote:I suppose you could just use different coloured dice for the doubled-up dice to help recognize them, hmm.
Just get all your weird numbered dice in a color that you don't have, like hot pink, and they'll be easy to find when you need them.
Yeah, I bought two sets of "glow green" which apparently actually glow in the dark. Ugly, but they have all of the dice types. :D

What I'd like to see improved:
1. I'm not so happy with the color selection. Most of the choices were transparent and non-inked.
2. I'm not so happy with the soft plastic. I'd like some high-quality nice dice in all of the shapes.

Hopefully this "strange dice" thing will catch on and more companies will start to produce these, then quality will improve as price drops.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

mshensley wrote:
geordie racer wrote:I received my weird Zocchi dice at the weekend and the funky d7 is great :D
How do you read it? I can't tell from the pictures I've seen.
The result is whatever faces up, whether it be the flat sides (6, 7) or the dots on/around the top edge - in the photo here, a 5 has just been rolled
Sean Wills
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

geordie racer wrote:The result is whatever faces up, whether it be the flat sides (6, 7) or the dots on/around the top edge - in the photo here, a 5 has just been rolled
Ohhhhh.... I get it now. You read the vertices. I still don't see how this could give you anywhere near a fair distribution. The flat sides are entirely different than the rest of the die.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

mshensley wrote:I still don't see how this could give you anywhere near a fair distribution. The flat sides are entirely different than the rest of the die.
Fair? We don't need fair results! This is the DCC RPG! We want to upset game balance. We want to upset statistical probability. We want to make your game interesting! :lol:
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

finarvyn wrote:
mshensley wrote:I still don't see how this could give you anywhere near a fair distribution. The flat sides are entirely different than the rest of the die.
Fair? We don't need fair results! This is the DCC RPG! We want to upset game balance. We want to upset statistical probability. We want to make your game interesting! :lol:
Somebody needs to get Crystal Caste on board. I think they could do a better d7 with their cylindrical shaped dice-

Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

mshensley wrote:
finarvyn wrote:
Somebody needs to get Crystal Caste on board. I think they could do a better d7 with their cylindrical shaped dice-

I agree that the 7-sider looks very disappointing.
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

Those certainly are strange shaped dice. I've seen those before but haven't ever owned or actually used any. Regular dice have a certain "feel" to them (the way they bounce and roll on the table). Do these have a similar feel?
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
geordie racer
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by geordie racer »

finarvyn wrote:Those certainly are strange shaped dice. I've seen those before but haven't ever owned or actually used any. Regular dice have a certain "feel" to them (the way they bounce and roll on the table). Do these have a similar feel?
Cylindrical dice have a clunky feel -of the Zocchi dice I find the long d3 and the chunky triangle that is the d5 are quite odd to watch too. Part of the charm of the Zocchi dice is that they all feel different, whereas the more uniform-looking Crystal Caste set are variations on a theme, which may suit some people more.
Sean Wills
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

finarvyn wrote:Those certainly are strange shaped dice. I've seen those before but haven't ever owned or actually used any. Regular dice have a certain "feel" to them (the way they bounce and roll on the table). Do these have a similar feel?
I have a few of them, but I don't like to use them as they feel a bit weird. But I can't imagine a weirder die than that d7.
smathis
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by smathis »

geordie racer wrote:
Cylindrical dice have a clunky feel -of the Zocchi dice I find the long d3 and the chunky triangle that is the d5 are quite odd to watch too. Part of the charm of the Zocchi dice is that they all feel different, whereas the more uniform-looking Crystal Caste set are variations on a theme, which may suit some people more.
I agree with geordie. I have some Crystal Caste and also some Zocchi dice (like the d14 and d16). I prefer the Zocchi dice. They feel more like "normal" polyhedrals to me. The Crystal Caste ones are fine. I wouldn't throw my arms up in protest if DCC or a player used them. They're just a little odd to me.

One problem I had with the Crystal Caste dice is that they're defined by size, predominantly. It's difficult to tell some of them apart. Whereas, most anyone can tell a d6 from a d8 from a d10. I think things get funky on the polyhedrals when I'm trying to pick between a d10, d14 and d16. But Crystal Caste dice have that problem across the board, IME.
mshensley
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by mshensley »

Black Dougal
Deft-Handed Cutpurse
FLGS: Total Escape Games, Broomfield CO

Post by Black Dougal »

Yay! My Zocchi Dice arrived in the mail today! I am ready for more playtesting. :D

My only complaint so far is that I couldn't get color matching d7s.
"The Black Dougal" (formerly known as dkeester) -- DCCRPG Fan Boy since 2010
DCCRPG PC Death Toll: 25

DCCRPG Playtests: Tacticon 2010, GenghisCon 2011, Tacticon 2011, GenghisCon 2012
Member: The DCC Expendables (Denver, CO)

Doug may very well hold the dubious title of “most DCC RPG PCs lost during the course of convention play.”
--Harley Stroh
Alegur
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alegur »

Just ordered a d14, d16, d24 an d30 from gamestation. D3, d5 and d7 I'll get by rolling the appropriate higher die type and halfing. I already do that with d4 because I can't pick up those stupid pyramids :D
Machpants
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Machpants »

dkeester wrote:Yay! My Zocchi Dice arrived in the mail today! I am ready for more playtesting. :D

My only complaint so far is that I couldn't get color matching d7s.
Yeah I want a nice set too
LAST OF THE F3W
Gloria Finis

Return to “DCC RPG General”