NPCS class

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

nudnic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

NPCS class

Post by nudnic »

How would you recommend handling NPCS classes? I'm working on an adventure which has many NPCs. With a wide range of occupations. I don't exactly want to make these 0 level.

I suppose I can chose the closest equivalent class. Which works better for some cases than others.
jmucchiello
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Re: NPCS class

Post by jmucchiello »

Treat them as monsters. Only include stats for things that matter.

Farmer Brown (HP: 3, expert in farming)
Mayor Jones (HP: 6, HD: 2d8)
Geoffrey
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Geoffrey »

That's right. When making NPCs, don't feel constrained by the rules for making PCs. Do whatever your whim decides for NPCs. No justification is needed. For example, if you want an NPC to have the ability to turn blue anything he touches, then he has that power. ZAP! Just like that. Etc.
Click here to purchase my five AD&D modules.
Each of these modules is self-contained. No other books are required other than the three AD&D rulebooks (or a similar set of rules if you prefer).
Click here to purchase prints of Luigi Castellani's cover art for these modules.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Agreed. Detail of character depth isn't really needed for most NPCs, unless they happen to be the uber-badguy in an adventure. You might want to stat him out as a full character in advance just in case the PCs come to blows with him. (Particularly in the case of evil wizards. Have their spells pre-selected and know in advance what sorts of things he might be up to. Otherwise he becomes a chore to stat out on the fly, or he's no challenge to the players.)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “DCC RPG General”