Help me design a couple patrons

If it doesn't fit into a category above, then inscribe it here, O Mighty One...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

nudnic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Help me design a couple patrons

Post by nudnic »

I'm looking for some guidelines to design patrons.

How powerful should abilities be per spell check?

How should spells be granted by a patron?

Here's what I am thinking of so far.

Xothatulzsch - the keeper of balance
Xothatulzsch a neutral deity a manifestation of balance.

Invoke Patron Results:
12-13 : The wizard levitates for for 1d6+CL rounds. The wizard can float in any direction at their speed. Rising or descending at half their movement.
14-17 : Xothatulzsch heals the wizard to full hit points.
18-19 : The wizard becomes flexible and rubbery. Physical blows have a 50% chance of dealing no damage and otherwise deal only half damage. Magical and other effects have 50% chance of dealing only half damage but otherwise deal normal damage.
20-23 : the wizard glows with a warm orange light, creatures aligned with law or chaos can not attack or make contact with the wizard.
24-27 :
28-29 :
30-31 :
32+ :
Pharmakon
Gongfarmer

Re: Help me design a couple patrons

Post by Pharmakon »

This is probably not the best, but this is something me and my players threw together quickly for our game.

The King of Elfland

Overview

The King of Elfland is the ruler of the fey lands beyond twilight. He demands that his patrons protect the fey races, spread chaos through embodying the fey folk’s inner fire and spirit, and to revere the enchanted forests of the world. The week-long ceremony must take place in an enchanted grove. After any major assistance, The King of Elfland demands minor acts of fealty, such as slaying Orcs or any others who would wish to destroy the fey lands, or by strengthening enchanted, fey locations, or by spreading the spirit of the fey among mortal lands.

Invoke Patron check Results

12-13
The King is preoccupied. The light surrounding the caster becomes flecked with sparks like fairy flies, or a hint of hauntingly beautiful elven singing can be heard from far away, and other signs of the King of Elfland manifest, giving the wizard a surge of energy in the form of 1d6 Agility for the next hour. This may be spellburned as normal.

14-17
The King of Elfland sends a swarm of Spriggans. The fierce cloud of tiny, armored, winged-fairies fly onto the scene in 1d6 rounds. The thousands of fairies collectively occupy a space of 20’ x 20’ which can overlap with other creatures. The spriggans attack all enemies of the King of Elfland and the caster, within their space. The swarm disperses in 1d6 rounds. Spriggan horde: Init +0; Atk needle sword +2 melee against all in 20’x20’ (dmg 1d4); AC 8; HP: 30; MV: 30’, Act 1; SV Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +2; AL CN.

18-19
From the ground surrounding the wizard’s most dangerous nearby opponent, a sparkling mist arises as a fairy ring of magnificent colored mushrooms surround the opponent. Within the fairy ring, the scenery changes to that of the angry storm racked feylands, as the opponent is momentarily transported to the Kingdom of Elfland. The enemy suffers 2d6 points of damage as he is aged rapidly, due to the difference in time between the mortal world and that of the fey world. (DC 20 Fort save for half)

20-23
The King of Elfland sends a Pooka. It arrives in 1d6 rounds. It appears as a sleek black horse, with wild golden luminescent eyes. It obeys the casters commands until the King needs it elsewhere ( caster must make a DC 20 spell check every hour or it departs; or judge’s discretion.) The Pooka can be ridden as a mount.

24-27
As above, but the King sends an enraged Unicorn.

28-29
Sends a Fairie Knight. This fearful fey lord appears immediately in an aurora borealis of faerie fire and begins slicing into foes with his fey sword . He remains for one hour.

30-31
The King of Elfland sends a living nightmare of himself. A tear between worlds opens and the Shining Lord gallops forth on a steed with fairie fire mane. It remains for 2d6 rounds, during which time he fights ferociously.

32+
The King of Elfland sends a living nightmare of himself, as above, and also imbues the wizards with a supernatural burst of fey-speed. The wizard gains a +6 bonus to Agility as long as the avatar is present.

Patron Spells: The King of Elfland
The King of Elfland grant three unique spells, as follows:

First level: Fey Mein

Patron Taint: The King of the Elfland
When patron taint is indictated for the King of the Elfland, rol 1d6 on the table below. When a wizard has acquired all six taints at all levels of effect, there is no need to continue rolling any more.

Glamours appear when the wizard casts any spell. Shifting, illusions, as random as dreams. They distract and annoy, but otherwise do not harm. If this result is rolled a second time, the effect is amplified such that Glamours that envelop the area appear with each spell. These glamours are larte enough to distract nearby creatures within 10’, both friend and foe. (DC 8 Will save or -1 to all rolls for one round), though the caster is immune. If this result is rolled a third time, glamours and illusions follow the wizard constantly, day and night, whether he is casting spells or doing something else.

The wizard skin becomes like bark, both in texture and appearance. If rolled a second time, sprouts and branches, leaves and flowers grow off of him. If this result is rolled a third time, the wizard is transformed into something like a dryad in appearance. The wizard gains a +1 to armor class, but a -1 agility. He must bury his feet in moist soil for eight hours a day as he rests and he cannot go for one day without sunlight without suffering ill effects. For each day without one of the above, the wizard must make a DC 20 Fort save or suffer a -1 to his stamina. Each following day, incurs an additional -1 to the penalty. If the wizard ever reaches 0 Stamina, he withers and dies.

The wizard’s face gains a distinct fey air. The eyes arc upwards at the sides, much more exaggerated even than a normal elf’s. His eyebrows become exaggerated and extend from his head. His eyes become unnatural and shift colors. If this is rolled a second time, his hair becomes fiery and shifting in colors His voice becomes unearthly and sounds, like chimes constantly surround him. He can no longer pass as a mortal. If rolled a third time, his entire appearance becomes feylike, inspiring awe and fear in those he encounters. There is absolutely no way he can appear as a normal mortal.

Same as Bobugbubilz, but replace odor with a moonlit mist

Same as Bobugbubilz, but instead the body becomes unearthly tall and thin and fairy wings are grown.

Same as Bobugbubilz, but surrounded by mischievous fey creatures.

Fey Mein
Level: 1
Range: Self
Duration: Varies
Casting Time: 1 Round
Save: None
Manifestation: See below and with each step, the caster becomes more unearthly and fey looking.

General: A true servant of the King of the Elflands embodies the fey spirit of the lands beyond the twilight. The nature of the Dream-Kingdom reflects the temperament of its King. This spells enables you to enjoy the ever-changing world of his kingdom, by changing your body to best accommodate it.

1-11
Lost. Failure

12-13
Your legs become thin, agile and elfin. You are able to move with the light agile steps of the fey. You can move with incredible agility, adding a plus 1d6 to your Reflex Saves for 1d6 turns.

14-17
Your entire body, becomes slender and elf-like. In addition to the reflex save bonus above, you are able to move silently in woodland settings for 1d6 turns. In non-woodland settings, you have a 60% chance to move silently.

18-19
You are now one with the forest and are able to Pass Without Trace through woodland settings. You can move freely and at full speed through woodland obstructions and leave no footprints at your passing.

20-23
You move as the wind through the trees of the enchanted woods. For 1d6 turns you can move through woodland areas at double your speed.

24-27
Your steps are as light as the forest folk and you are able to climb and move through the trees as if you were under the effect of a Spider Climb spell. In non-woodland areas, you have a 60% climb walls check.

28-29
You gain all of the effects above, but they last for 1d6 hours

30-31
The wizard is transformed into an avatar of the King of the Elflands. He appears as a fearsome and magnificent Lord of Twilight. He gains all of the above abilities, but also gains 2d6 temporary hit points and is treated as having an Agility of 18 for all normal purposes, including missile combat.

32+
As above, but the duration is extended to 24 hours, although you can cut the spell short at any time.

Enchanted Grove

Level: 2
Manifestation: See below
Tortog
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Tortog »

nudnic wrote:I'm looking for some guidelines to design patrons.
I love design work... so I'll take a crack at it, but some of these questions only you can answer; all anyone can really do is give advice.

As I've read the development on the chat board, the appendix N resources, and in the beta, patrons were not intended to be deities. They're supposed to be powerful demons, and 'otherworldly' entities with their own motivations that Humans may or may not understand. {But, that hasn't stopped me from creating the Gods of Magic for my world... :wink: }

IMO Neutral deities are one of the hardest to create. :) My opinion on Neutral deities is that their inherent power should be equal to the most powerful Good & Evil deities combined. The reason being that Neutrality must constantly endure the attacks from the other two alignments AND be powerful enough to enforce the Balance. The servants of Neutrality must be equally powerful in the corporeal realm for the same reasons.
How powerful should abilities be per spell check?
I'm assuming here that you're referring to the results for an invoke patron check...
That depends on how active this Patron will be in your game: if it's a minor piece of fluff attached to a bad-guy that will be vanquished and forgotten, then you probably don't need to worry about power levels... Let it shine a little, but the only real concerns for balance will be determined by how powerful the party attacking it will be and whether you want a TPK or not. On the other hand, if it is something that the player will access several times a session, then the increase in power from one result to the next should be somewhat lower to keep them from overshadowing the other players. Some of this mechanic is handled for you with the players results on their Patron Bond Spell the real challenge for me with the few that I've written so far has been to find the right mix of cool powers and 'buffs' for wizards with poor patron access (1/week) that won't become too uber-powerfull for the lucky player who somehow manages the 32+ result, and has their patron over for tea and biscuits every afternoon.
How should spells be granted by a patron?
This is pure showmanship IMO... they can be granted in whatever style fits the deity. This is where you can help define the relationship of this deity with the players, and the material plain, and/or spend some time defining the Deity in as much detail as you can. I guess the default setting for this could be that the wizard simply has a new spell insert itself into their memory. The deity could just as easily decide that the spells manifest themselves as farts from a giant space panda... it really depends on what fits the game better. :mrgreen:
Here's what I am thinking of so far.

Xothatulzsch - the keeper of balance
Xothatulzsch a neutral deity a manifestation of balance.

Invoke Patron Results:
12-13 : The wizard levitates for for 1d6+CL rounds. The wizard can float in any direction at their speed. Rising or descending at half their movement.
14-17 : Xothatulzsch heals the wizard to full hit points.
18-19 : The wizard becomes flexible and rubbery. Physical blows have a 50% chance of dealing no damage and otherwise deal only half damage. Magical and other effects have 50% chance of dealing only half damage but otherwise deal normal damage.
20-23 : the wizard glows with a warm orange light, creatures aligned with law or chaos can not attack or make contact with the wizard.
24-27 :
28-29 :
30-31 :
32+ :

here's what I came up with:

Invoke Patron Results:
12-13 : the wizard glows with a warm orange light out to 10ft/ level and grants +2 on spot and search checks for everyone in the lights radius.
14-17 : as above, but the wizard can levitate for for 1d4+CL rounds. The wizard can float in any direction at their speed. Rising or descending at half their movement.
18-19 : The wizard becomes flexible and rubbery. The first 3 points of damage from any blow are ignored.
20-23 : as previous entries, and the Wizard is healed of 1d10hp.
24-27 : as previous entries, with the following exceptions: The wizard glows with a warm orange light out to 20ft/level and the bonus for search and spot increases to +3. Furthermore, creatures aligned with law or chaos must make a willpower save Vs DC= 8+Clerics PER bonus+ level in order to attack or make contact with the wizard.
28-29 : as previous entries, with the following exceptions: the wizard can levitate for for 2d4+CL rounds. The wizard can float in any direction at their speed.
30-31 : as previous entries, with the following exceptions: Physical blows have a 75% chance of dealing no damage and otherwise deal only 1/4 damage. Magical and other effects have 50% chance of dealing only half damage but otherwise deal normal damage.
32+ as previous entries, with the following exceptions: Xothatulzsch heals the wizard to full hit points, and extends the following benefits to all within the lights radius: DR2 and +1d6hp.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

Pharmakon wrote:This is probably not the best, but this is something me and my players threw together quickly for our game.
I like it! 8)

Great first post, by the way, and welcome to the boards!
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
nudnic
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by nudnic »

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to come up with effects that will work well without becoming unbalancing.

Here's another I started

Invoke Patron
2-11 patron is unmoved by your pleading

12-13 Wizard's skin becomes bark like giving the wizard a 2+CL AC bonus

14-15 Roots reach up from the floor and claw at the feet and legs of any creature holding them to that spot and giving them -2 attacks and AC. Escape with DC 12+CL escape. Lasts 1D6+CL rounds

16-17 Your touch drains 1d6+CL hp from a target you gain the amount in hp up to your total hp.

18-19 target sprouts roots from their feet and legs rooting them to the
ground. As above but follows one target. Movement is halved with DC14+CL escape otherwise movement is limited to 5'.

20-21 your touch becomes poisonous. It drains 1d6+CL Str Fort DC 12+CL save to half.

22-23 burst of dark light

Wizard sprouts sharp claw like branches and can attack all adjacent creatures in any round for 1d4+poison save Fort DC 12+CL poison inflicts CL hp.
Pharmakon
Gongfarmer

Post by Pharmakon »

Pharmakon wrote:This is probably not the best, but this is something me and my players threw together quickly for our game.

The King of Elfland

Overview

The King of Elfland is the ruler of the fey lands beyond twilight. He demands that his patrons protect the fey races, spread chaos through embodying the fey folk’s inner fire and spirit, and to revere the enchanted forests of the world. The week-long ceremony must take place in an enchanted grove. After any major assistance, The King of Elfland demands minor acts of fealty, such as slaying Orcs or any others who would wish to destroy the fey lands, or by strengthening enchanted, fey locations, or by spreading the spirit of the fey among mortal lands.

Invoke Patron check Results

12-13
The King is preoccupied. The light surrounding the caster becomes flecked with sparks like fairy flies, or a hint of hauntingly beautiful elven singing can be heard from far away, and other signs of the King of Elfland manifest, giving the wizard a surge of energy in the form of 1d6 Agility for the next hour. This may be spellburned as normal.

14-17
The King of Elfland sends a swarm of Spriggans. The fierce cloud of tiny, armored, winged-fairies fly onto the scene in 1d6 rounds. The thousands of fairies collectively occupy a space of 20’ x 20’ which can overlap with other creatures. The spriggans attack all enemies of the King of Elfland and the caster, within their space. The swarm disperses in 1d6 rounds. Spriggan horde: Init +0; Atk needle sword +2 melee against all in 20’x20’ (dmg 1d4); AC 8; HP: 30; MV: 30’, Act 1; SV Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +2; AL CN.

18-19
From the ground surrounding the wizard’s most dangerous nearby opponent, a sparkling mist arises as a fairy ring of magnificent colored mushrooms surround the opponent. Within the fairy ring, the scenery changes to that of the angry storm racked feylands, as the opponent is momentarily transported to the Kingdom of Elfland. The enemy suffers 2d6 points of damage as he is aged rapidly, due to the difference in time between the mortal world and that of the fey world. (DC 20 Fort save for half)

20-23
The King of Elfland sends a Pooka. It arrives in 1d6 rounds. It appears as a sleek black horse, with wild golden luminescent eyes. It obeys the casters commands until the King needs it elsewhere ( caster must make a DC 20 spell check every hour or it departs; or judge’s discretion.) The Pooka can be ridden as a mount.

24-27
As above, but the King sends an enraged Unicorn.

28-29
Sends a Fairie Knight. This fearful fey lord appears immediately in an aurora borealis of faerie fire and begins slicing into foes with his fey sword . He remains for one hour.

30-31
The King of Elfland sends a living nightmare of himself. A tear between worlds opens and the Shining Lord gallops forth on a steed with fairie fire mane. It remains for 2d6 rounds, during which time he fights ferociously.

32+
The King of Elfland sends a living nightmare of himself, as above, and also imbues the wizards with a supernatural burst of fey-speed. The wizard gains a +6 bonus to Agility as long as the avatar is present.

Patron Spells: The King of Elfland
The King of Elfland grant three unique spells, as follows:

First level: Fey Mein

Patron Taint: The King of the Elfland
When patron taint is indictated for the King of the Elfland, rol 1d6 on the table below. When a wizard has acquired all six taints at all levels of effect, there is no need to continue rolling any more.

Glamours appear when the wizard casts any spell. Shifting, illusions, as random as dreams. They distract and annoy, but otherwise do not harm. If this result is rolled a second time, the effect is amplified such that Glamours that envelop the area appear with each spell. These glamours are larte enough to distract nearby creatures within 10’, both friend and foe. (DC 8 Will save or -1 to all rolls for one round), though the caster is immune. If this result is rolled a third time, glamours and illusions follow the wizard constantly, day and night, whether he is casting spells or doing something else.

The wizard skin becomes like bark, both in texture and appearance. If rolled a second time, sprouts and branches, leaves and flowers grow off of him. If this result is rolled a third time, the wizard is transformed into something like a dryad in appearance. The wizard gains a +1 to armor class, but a -1 agility. He must bury his feet in moist soil for eight hours a day as he rests and he cannot go for one day without sunlight without suffering ill effects. For each day without one of the above, the wizard must make a DC 20 Fort save or suffer a -1 to his stamina. Each following day, incurs an additional -1 to the penalty. If the wizard ever reaches 0 Stamina, he withers and dies.

The wizard’s face gains a distinct fey air. The eyes arc upwards at the sides, much more exaggerated even than a normal elf’s. His eyebrows become exaggerated and extend from his head. His eyes become unnatural and shift colors. If this is rolled a second time, his hair becomes fiery and shifting in colors His voice becomes unearthly and sounds, like chimes constantly surround him. He can no longer pass as a mortal. If rolled a third time, his entire appearance becomes feylike, inspiring awe and fear in those he encounters. There is absolutely no way he can appear as a normal mortal.

Same as Bobugbubilz, but replace odor with a moonlit mist

Same as Bobugbubilz, but instead the body becomes unearthly tall and thin and fairy wings are grown.

Same as Bobugbubilz, but surrounded by mischievous fey creatures.

Fey Mein
Level: 1
Manifestation: See below and with each step, the caster becomes more unearthly and fey looking.

General: A true servant of the King of the Elflands embodies the fey spirit of the lands beyond the twilight. The nature of the Dream-Kingdom reflects the temperament of its King. This spells enables you to enjoy the ever-changing world of his kingdom, by changing your body to best accommodate it.

1-11
Lost. Failure

12-13
Your legs become thin, agile and elfin. You are able to move with the light agile steps of the fey. You can move with incredible agility, adding a plus 1d6 to your Reflex Saves for 1d6 turns.

14-17
Your entire body, becomes slender and elf-like. In addition to the reflex save bonus above, you are able to move silently in woodland settings for 1d6 turns. In non-woodland settings, you have a 60% chance to move silently.

18-19
You are now one with the forest and are able to Pass Without Trace through woodland settings. You can move freely and at full speed through woodland obstructions and leave no footprints at your passing.

20-23
You move as the wind through the trees of the enchanted woods. For 1d6 turns you can move through woodland areas at double your speed.

24-27
Your steps are as light as the forest folk and you are able to climb and move through the trees as if you were under the effect of a Spider Climb spell. In non-woodland areas, you have a 60% climb walls check.

28-29
You gain all of the effects above, but they last for 1d6 hours

30-31
The wizard is transformed into an avatar of the King of the Elflands. He appears as a fearsome and magnificent Lord of Twilight. He gains all of the above abilities, but also gains 2d6 temporary hit points and is treated as having an Agility of 18 for all normal purposes, including missile combat.

32+
As above, but the duration is extended to 24 hours, although you can cut the spell short at any time.

Enchanted Grove

Level: 2
Manifestation: See below
Oops. I didn't mean to add Enchanted Grove. We haven't written that one up yet.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I love the name "Xothatulzsch" - very Robert E. Howard.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com

Return to “DCC RPG General”