Mini Campaign--Thank you Mr. Stroh *small spoilers*

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Playwithbob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Mini Campaign--Thank you Mr. Stroh *small spoilers*

Post by Playwithbob »

Into the Wilds is simply a work of art. I am enjoying running it and my players (all 12 of them) are having a woot of a time playing through it.

We are almost to where the players will be confronted by Lady Aborn. She will excape naturaly so that the Baron can ask the party to hunt her down.

I was at a loss for how I wanted to run the hunt but then it accured to me, Lady Aborn was never given a first name...

So I named her Lady Kyleth Aborn :twisted:

I figure the great swamp is in the back of the lake in the woods on the far side of the Foehammer Spires. The Savage kings were not humans but rather one or more of the Dwarven lords who once ruled the Foehammers.

It all fits (to me) perfectly.

Follow that up with "War of the Witch Queen" and hard part of designing a campaign is done.

Once again, Thank you Mr. Stroh for some wonderful work.

Bob Meyer
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

That is a great job of stitching together three very good modules!

My attempt at Savage Kings has been successful so far. Of course when you work with superior tools you get superior results.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

I'm a n00b.

What other two adventures are you referring to? Err, OK, "War of the Witch Queen" is the second.... What other adventure are you referring to?

-not getting the Kyleth Aborn reference-
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

"Legacy of the Savage Kings". It's swamp based. I'm not sure if he has plans to run it but its level requirements fall beween "Into the Wilds" and "War of the Witch Queen"
Playwithbob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Playwithbob »

JediOre wrote:"Legacy of the Savage Kings". It's swamp based. I'm not sure if he has plans to run it but its level requirements fall beween "Into the Wilds" and "War of the Witch Queen"
Yes I plan on running all 3 in order. Depending on where the average party level falls between the 3 adventures, I may run some other short adventure in between.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Man, that's sweet! What a great way to connect the adventures. Nice job. That sounds like it will be a great campaign.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Mini Campaign--Thank you Mr. Stroh *small spoilers*

Post by Harley Stroh »

Playwithbob wrote: I was at a loss for how I wanted to run the hunt but then it accured to me, Lady Aborn was never given a first name...

*Jaw hits the floor.*

Bob, that is brilliant. I just got done reading your post on Ogre's thread, and read this. What a great way to make the adventures your own --- and seeing all the work you've put into the Hanar campaign is inspiring. I hope your players enjoy the adventures, but with all the work you've done, I'm hard pressed to imagine how they won't have a great time.

Harrowing, dangerous, but great. :twisted:
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

And ... TWELVE players? That's a small mob. Yow.

//H

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Playwithbob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: Mini Campaign--Thank you Mr. Stroh *small spoilers*

Post by Playwithbob »

Harley Stroh wrote:
Playwithbob wrote: I was at a loss for how I wanted to run the hunt but then it accured to me, Lady Aborn was never given a first name...

*Jaw hits the floor.*

Bob, that is brilliant. I just got done reading your post on Ogre's thread, and read this. What a great way to make the adventures your own --- and seeing all the work you've put into the Hanar campaign is inspiring. I hope your players enjoy the adventures, but with all the work you've done, I'm hard pressed to imagine how they won't have a great time.

Harrowing, dangerous, but great. :twisted:
Thank you for the praise.

and large groups are not bad, we just finished up a session tonight, only 7 players showed. I have 12 regulers but on a given night its usally 7-10 of them.

You HAVE to make come changes though. I find static initituve works well. A characters Initituve is 10 +Dex mod +base reflex +misc. mods. It never changes and players must sit in order around the table.

That alone takes 15 minutes out of just starting a combat.

If a player is not paying attention and does not have their action ready, I skip them. Its an auto hold untill the end of the round. If they still don't have an action, the action is lost and we move on.

They are slowly learning to roll D20s and damage dice together and they use colored dice for different attacks.

Combat is deadly enough though that most everyone is on pins and needles and pays close attention.

If the group is "roleplaying" together, I dont stop them however if it starts to get out of hand or too far off topic, I pull them back in quickly.

The group runs from 11 to 34 and *most* of them have years of DnD experiance. The other DM's in the group help with rule clarificationsand the like.

All in all, I'm a pretty lucky DM.

PWB
Animus
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Animus »

Playwithbob wrote:
JediOre wrote:"Legacy of the Savage Kings". It's swamp based. I'm not sure if he has plans to run it but its level requirements fall beween "Into the Wilds" and "War of the Witch Queen"
Yes I plan on running all 3 in order. Depending on where the average party level falls between the 3 adventures, I may run some other short adventure in between.
Stroke of genius. Consider that idea yoinked :D.
Playwithbob
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Playwithbob »

Animus wrote:
Stroke of genius. Consider that idea yoinked :D.
Yoink away!

Spoilers below

There...

Some specific changes I made included:

Renaming Aborn.

In DCC28 area 2-15 the papers include sketchy information about the swamp, mountain king, and forge.

In DCC28 area 3-6 the Reaver sword is replaced with a blight blade.

In DCC17 all reference to the "human" kings is changed to dwarven.

Good luck and enjoy

PWB
Animus
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Animus »

Playwithbob wrote: ...

Good luck and enjoy

PWB
Thanks, I'm sure I will :).

I'm thinking of taking this a bit further. War of the Witch Queen takes the party to level 9-10. I was thinking of either adapting 1 or 2 more DCCs and carry the Witch Queen throughout or hombrewing stuff to level 15ish, which is where this campaign will likely end.

I guess the trick for me to get this whole thing to work is to not let her die more than once before the end. I think her coming back again and again might get old, or worse yet, comical. We'll see.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Animus wrote:I guess the trick for me to get this whole thing to work is to not let her die more than once before the end. I think her coming back again and again might get old, or worse yet, comical. We'll see.
Nods. That's the sort of thing you can only pull off once. It's a balance between making sure the players feel like they kicked some butt, but keeping a badguy/girl around to wreak havoc in the next episode.

So much easier in Saturday morning cartoons. :twisted:

//H

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Come on. How many times did the head of Spectre return to cause Bond problems.

If your group can't handle seeing villians show up when they were suppose to be dead...they need to watch the early 007 films!
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

...Or come to work with me on "Bring Your Kid" day.

Sigh.
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

Hey Bob, are you doing the FreeRPGday thing?
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

I'm bumping this for a few reasons - first, are you still around Mr. Playwithbob? I'd love to hear more details of the transition between DCC 28 -> 17, if you don't mind sparing details.

My group is going to be facing off against Lady Kyleth Aborn (heh heh) very soon, and want to have a chance to prepare for any weirdness or incompatibilities.

Has anyone else run these back-to-back? Or have you inserted another DCC in between?

Finally, is there anything awkward about combining the idea above with the Saga of the Dragon Cult? (i.e. segue from Wilds to Tsathzar Rho to Legacy, and just describe all reference to the "human" kings changed to dwarven as Playwithbob suggests?)

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”