DCC #17: Legacy of the Savage Kings

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

DCC #17: Legacy of the Savage Kings

Post by Jeff LaSala »

This can't come out soon enough for me!

http://goodman-games.com/5016preview.php

Any word on roughly what date this will hit the shelves? I need to be there.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Glad you're looking forward to it. :) I couldn't give you an exact date yet... but I'll keep ya updated!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Joseph, what's the best and most reliable way of getting a copy of DCC #17 right now? Must have! :D

The best of the gaming stores here in NYC don't have it, yet, and I'm not sure if it's available yet online.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

It's at the printer right now, and should be in stores in 3-4 weeks. This is the first DCC to be printed with the cover separate from the text booklet. The printer isn't used to that so they're taking a little extra time. Don't worry; they'll be used to this sort of format after a few more DCC's in that style... :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Save Vs. Death Ray »

goodmangames wrote:This is the first DCC to be printed with the cover separate from the text booklet.
That's so cool! Dungeons with maps on the covers are just easier to run --- plus, more screens between you and the players!
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I just saw the art to the module.

You people (the artists) are AMAZING. It looks perfect.

Thank you!
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

I loved playtesting this module. I seriously can't wait to have a copy of this in my hands!
Chris McCoy
Freelance Game Designer and Goblin Wrangler
Writing Portfolio
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Congrats Harley... Can't wait to get a copy of this module and skim through it. Sounds great, and I'm sure my group will gnash their teeth and tear out their hair. At least, i hope they will! :)
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

It has a detachable cover? Awesome. Now DCCs are really like the modules from the good old days!
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

That's what I love about the DCC modules...takes me back to them 1st edition days...

~Sigh~ Memories....
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

ynnen wrote:Congrats Harley... Can't wait to get a copy of this module and skim through it. Sounds great, and I'm sure my group will gnash their teeth and tear out their hair. At least, i hope they will! :)
I hope you’re not disappointed. :)

Reading your work was like a crash course in how DCCs ought to be written.

At least Savage Kings starts out right: "Roll for initiative!" :twisted:

Chris: I forget --- how did your group make out in the end?

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Jeff LaSala
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

The Great, Great Swamp!

Post by Jeff LaSala »

Even though the copy I ordered of Savage Kings has yet to arrive, I was lucky enough to receive an "advanced copy" from the author himself. (Thanks, Harley!) :D

I've only had a cursory look through it so far, but offhand I just wanted to say that it's excellent. The concept behind the encounters, the token secret door/secret treasure area....the re-representation of classic monsters. Very well done!

And a really gross fight with a black dragon. What more can you want?
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

:evil: SPOILERS =======> GO AWAY PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

I'm running this one with my group. That first encounter is a doozy.

GM: You see a black dragon come screaming out of the mist!

Fighter: (Strikes power ranger pose) Greatsword strike! (Rolls to hit)

GM: A hit! Acid puss splatters you. Your face begins to melt!

Party: Run away! ....

....evil. Way, way, way evil.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Chris: I forget --- how did your group make out in the end?
~Evil Grin~ They didn't.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Chris McCoy wrote:~Evil Grin~ They didn't.
!:shock:!

I love it when "rotfl" actually really does mean rolls on the floor laughing. :)

BTW: Chris I have your copy of the module back home in Colorado, but I'm in NY for the next 3 weeks. Sorry for the delay.

Just so everyone knows, Chris and the Knights of the Patio are some of the best playtesters in "da biz."

Ps...Chris: Do you have a slot open in late August?

Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

That's cool! What's the process of becoming a Goodman Game playtester? Does a group have to pass a test or something?

:evil: SPOILERS =======> GO AWAY PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!:evil:

Part II:
Back into the Great Swamp. PCs blast the dragon with EVERYTHING, then flee into the swamp, got lost in the mud and mist, finally crawl back on to an island, and the statue of a dead king goes after them.

...........and they haven't really begun the module yet!

Sometimes the Heroes need to take a step back, regroup, and take a moment to get their tempo back.
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

H,

Not a problem, my friend. I was just happy to be a part of the whole experience and I look forward to getting a copy! Bask in the warm of your success, H. You deserve it.

Late August is looking good. Sign us up.

As far as becoming a player tester for Goodman, I can only speak from my own experiences. I've known Harley for about two years or so now and we have been friends and fellow writers for just as long. I believe I offered to help playtest his module when I heard about it and the rest is well, history.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Prof. McCoy,

Did you do anything to prep your PCs for the adventure? My groups patented Power Ranger stance is back firing a bit .........they are the right level (a teensy bit higher, really), but it's a little like they're in over their head.

Funny how things go bad when people panic.

Not that I'm not enjoying it, mind you. Just that.......... this could get ugly when they get to the Forge.........Kyleth is gonna eat these people for lunch, stitch a cloak from their skins and grind their bones for her breakfast cereal.

Builds characters, I guess. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Save vs. Death Ray (love the handle...),

Well, my PCs were the "recommended" level and got slaughtered, despite the fact that there were six of them on the first run. The second run got eight PCs of recommended level and they were a nice, well balanced party (the old magic four: cleric, rogue, fighter, wizard) and even included a bard for support (like bards are meant for anything else? Funny...they are my favored class to play too!). Party went through the module and suffered heavy casulties. It's a tough module but if the PCs play it smart, they can make it through just fine.

Mind you this was the rough draft version. I have yet to see the finished project.

I guess my advice would be to make sure your PCs are smart and don't panic. And make sure they are the balanced party format. A party of six rogues won't cut it.
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Chris McCoy wrote:I guess my advice would be to make sure your PCs are smart and don't panic. And make sure they are the balanced party format. A party of six rogues won't cut it.
Chris has the heart of it: group balance and intelligent play.

Despite its share of bloodthirsty combat, I wrote Legacy to be a thinking player's module; terrain can play a deciding factor in nearly every significant battle.

It gets fun when the players are forced to think on their feet. Can they make the right decision in the frenzy of the moment? That's what separates the sellswords from the heroes. :mrgreen:

Save Vs. Death Ray
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

:twisted: I'm not surre my group has started thinking tactically yet. I'll see if I can encourage that.

Back at the home table, Team Power Ranger is at its first encounter with the inhabitants of the forge ....... straining to see through the mist, terrified at what this fell place might disgorge.

Real, tangible, on-table fear. It doesn't help that I leaked that the first group of playtesters got slaughtered. I actually "wrote" playtester corpses into the game. Hope you don't mind, Chris! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Chris McCoy
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Chris McCoy »

Oh actually, I'm honored. Poor little playtesting PCs...

Dead and forgotten...

At least the worms like you, you built in warning signs on impending doom!
Chris McCoy
Writing Portfolio
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

I'll be at Gen Con Indy and lurking around the Goodman Games booth. If anyone who has played Savage Kings will be at the con, please drop by and let me know what did and didn't work for your gaming group. I'd love to hear your stories!

JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Your module got mentioned by a couple folks on the Necromancer Boards as being the best adventure of 2005.

http://p096.ezboard.com/fnecromancergam ... =973.topic
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Wow! Thanks for the heads up, Jedi. That made my day. :)

...now where should I send that $20 I owe you?

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”